Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Favorite Chinese Dish

My blog has been set aside for a while, and lately I've been thinking of reviving it. I thought I'd start it off again with a recipe for one of our favorite Chinese dishes. I'll do an update on our family soon too. (But I might as well mention that our little Gianna is 6 weeks old today!)

As to the recipe, I found a how-to video on youtube that is pretty good, but I modified it a bit to suit our family and taste. When we eat at restaurants here in China, we very often order this dish, and in fact, we just ordered it recently, and I thought my version was better than the restaurant's version! :D

Here's the video, and I'll post the recipe for it underneath.



Chinese Egg/Tomato Dish

2 Tbsp olive oil
8 eggs
3-4 tomatoes (depending on size - 3 if large/4 if medium)
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar

Scramble eggs until whites/yolks are blended. Chop tomatoes into inch sized chunks. Make sure sugar/salt is near stove for quick access. Heat oil in non-stick pan or wok on medium high temp. When oil is good and hot, pour eggs in and scramble. When they're mostly set, push to one side in pan. Pour tomato chunks in empty space in the pan. When they start cooking, add salt/sugar right on the tomatoes and stir fry the tomatoes for 2-3 more minutes. Stir eggs and tomatoes together and cover pan with lid and let cook another 1-2 minutes. Transfer to bowl and serve with rice. Yummy!

1 comment:

Missy said...

Welcome back, Katie! So glad you're back. I had been wondering what you would rename the blog if you started posting again after Gianna was born.

Somehow I missed hearing about this recipe or tasting it when I was in China. I'll have to try it sometime.