Because of the holiday here yesterday, we let Eden sleep on the floor in our room again last night. The fireworks weren't as bad as I thought they would be, but it was still fun for Eden anyways. As soon as we asked her if she wanted to sleep in our room again, she perked right up and was soon just giddy with excitement. We set up a little bed for her with our big comforter on the floor. It's a big cushy thing that when folded up some makes a nice bed (for a kid - ha!). Eden LOVES sleeping in our room like that, so we'll probably do it a little more often now - like maybe on her birthday coming up soon.
Anyways, as I said, she was just giddy with excitement, and it took her a long time to settle down and fall asleep. She tossed and turned and goofed around playing with her bear and just being silly. She was oh so happy, but she was quiet enough atleast for Brant and Nita to be sleeping through it. She was right beside me on the floor, and I put my hand down to hold her hand sometimes. She ended up holding my pinky after a bit, and I just kept my hand down there for a long time 'til she was well asleep. I noticed in the morning that she was in about the same position all night long, so she must have barely moved all night.
I can't tell you how good it made me feel to have her holding my pinky like that and sometimes giving me little kisses on my hand because of her excitement. Our last few months with her have been pretty rough as we all have been adjusting to the new baby in the house. We've also been dealing with crazy schedules at times as well as homesickness and some post-partum crazy hormones and depression on my part. Eden has felt some insecurity and has been testing the boundaries a lot which just made things worse at times. Just recently, both Brant and I have realized that we need to have more fun times with her and get her laughing more often than we do, so we've both been making more of an effort to do that almost daily - especially with tickle tortures! We've also been working to be more consistent, and I've been working to be more even tempered and spend more time with her. I really feel like these past few months have been times of stretching and growing in our relationships, and it's been very uncomfortable or painful at times. But just lately I've been noticing some fruits of the pain, and it's been sweet. It's for this reason that last night's little affection was especially special to me - it made me feel like a queen and I basked in the moment! She loves her Heidi bear and had brought the bear to bed with her last night, but in the end, she put Heidi bear aside and just wanted to hold my pinky. I was uncomfortable with my arm hanging down like that, but while she was awake and then falling asleep, I was glad to be uncomfortable for a while for the pleasure my little girl was bringing me!
Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











3 comments:
Sweet, Katie. Reminds me of the clique to "cherish the moment."
Katie, that was wonderful! I'm sure Eden will treasure the memory of Monday night as well.
Katie, that is so sweet. I just love those moments that I have with my kids that no one else shares. You're a good mommy!
Post a Comment