We're having a busy weekend here, and I'm in the middle of a huge mess of laundry right now. We were supposed to go out for lunch today, but it's cold and rainy out. Nita has been more fussy lately...not sure why. And we're having 2 different sets of company over for meals tomorrow, and we have lots of prep work to do for that too! Brant always helps me alot at these busy times, but I was still thinking today was just going to be too much. I debated and debated if I and Nita should just stay home from going out for lunch, but I really enjoyed the restaurant the last time we went there, so I made an effort to go. But I was so frustrated by the time we were all ready to go out the door. Going out doesn't involve just going to your car and driving off; it involves walking a block or two or even half a mile before finally hailing a taxi. In this weather, that's no fun especially with the puddles and mud along the way, carrying/dragging our girls and umbrellas, etc... It's a chore!
So, I was grumpy at the get-go, and we stepped outside our door. There was a woman right there by our door who started scolding us immediately and harshly about how Nita wasn't dressed warm enough. Now this is normal in China, and we've tried to just get used to it, but there are some times when it just doesn't go over so well, and this was one of those times. Nita was dressed warmer than we've had her practically all winter long! I knew I wasn't in the right frame of mind when I started muttering "oh shut up" under my breath - whoopsie, that's not good! So, before we even got the umbrellas up, I decided to turn around and "run for cover!" So, Eden and Brant went to eat, and I'm home with fussy Nita, and I need to get to work! I think I better put some music on to soothe both of us fussy girls today.
One disclaimer - it may sound super rude to hear about that scolding by perfect strangers, but it's really not. It's just how people are and have been brought up with here, and they know no other way of life. I'm sure they'd be horrified to realize how rude it sounds to us outsiders, and I know I need to take it with a grain of grace. But at times it's just really hard to ignore.
Saturday, April 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











2 comments:
I would just argue back : )
hope the rest of your day and company went a bit better! big hugs to you! :)
Post a Comment