Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Heritage of Grace

Having children is such a learning experience as you all probably know. I have found it to also be a very humbling thing, and I've felt sure that our girls will have to deal with issues from our mistakes as parents for years to come. I realized recently that they may someday understand Brant and I better than we understand ourselves, and I also realized that I long for them to have a forgiving and graceful attitude towards us as they grow and become more aware of our flaws and mistakes as parents.

So I was thinking on how to develop this attitude of grace in my children, and I realized that the best way to do it is to just try to live it every day as we encounter people that seem different, flawed, in error, or just full to the brim with percieved annoyances. My conclusion is that I need to try to look for opportunities to show grace to others at every turn and teach our daughters how to do the same. And hopefully someday when our girls fully realize just what a flub-up mommy did as a parent, they will be in such a habit of being full of grace and understanding, that it'll be their natural reaction towards me and my flaws too. And if God allows our girls to have children of their own, I hope and pray that this heritage of grace can be passed down from generation to generation!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

That is so true Katie! I think that you just thinking about this and determining to train your girls in grace is a sign that you are a pretty great mother. Although I don't really know you, I pray for you and your family often. I am so thankful for your work for the Lord!