There are so many things here that are different than in the states, but we've become so accustomed to them that I don't take much notice of them sometimes. I just remembered something today about when we went out to eat on Christmas eve. We went to a nicer hotel we had seen and heard about called the Kempinski Hotel where there was a sit-down "western" restaurant. Almost any food in China that's European or American is called "western".
When we first walked in, we didn't know where to go, so we told the greeter man at the door we wanted to go to their restaurant. We didn't know that there was something going on in a restaurant/bar area that night for foreigners because of it being Christmas eve. It must have been something special though because the price at the door was outrageous (like $300/person), and the foreign people at the door were really dressed up fancy. We asked if there was another "western" restaurant in the hotel, and there was on the second floor.
Most of the happenings of the rest of the night were normal. I ordered one of my favorites - a real cheeseburger. Ain't that fancy? Ok, so it isn't fancy, but it's not very common in China, and I like it. Brant ordered some shredded chicken sandwich which he quickly devoured after it arrived at our table. I think we ordered Alfredo pasta for Eden. My burger came, and it was the oddest thing. It seemed that after they had cooked it and assembled it with various toppings, they set the top of the bun to the side, and cracked open an egg and plopped it right on top of the hot burger. It was just cooked enough to make the white look white instead of clear, but the whites were still very uncooked, and of course the yolk was totally soft. There's not many foods on earth that have quite the ick factor as uncooked egg white right on your plate to eat! After some scraping (pouring?), my burger was very edible and very tasty. We've seen this throw-an-egg-on-the-dish type of thing before in China, but never on a cheeseburger!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)











4 comments:
There are several different kinds of burgers here. You can get a Lotteria burger, which is a popular Korean chain here, and it's a weird tasting half a centimeter thick slice of meat with some sweet sauce and onions on it. That's what you'll get at most fast food places. Then there are burgers at stands that you can get for $2 where they also cook the egg with them but it's pretty well cooked and actually tastes quite good together. Then, there is Kraze Burger, a chain found in most larger cities that make a decent, almost-American style, burger for about $6.
I'm not sure why I just ran on about burgers like that. lol It's the only American food I really miss sometimes, a good Five Guys burger. hehe Maybe that's why. Interesting to hear about how they do it in China.
That reminds me of this horrible Mom and Pop restaurant near us that puts fried eggs on a club sandwich! Yuck
Lela
Chinese restaurants usually get club sandwiches wrong too - they usually have peanut butter and egg on them in addition to everything else!
It is just hard to find good ol' American foods when in a foreign land. And then when you do find it, it often isn't quite right.
Kates- that's gross - but I will say I made a cooked egg and put it on a cheeseburger before- it was a Paula Deen Recipe and I tried it - it was quite yummy.
Post a Comment