Thursday, October 23, 2008

Chinese Tradition

There is a fall tradition here in northern China that we sort of scratch our heads over. The first time we saw it we were so amazed, but now we're sort of used to it. But it still doesn't make sense to us Americans! Anyways, every fall here in our city, you will see many vegetables sitting outside lined up in rows on sidewalks, curbs, grassy areas, or wherever. From what we've gathered, just about every household buys up a stash of some certain vegetables that will last them through the winter. I think I've heard that they can't buy those vegetables during the winter here, so that's why they do this. We have seen trucks piled high with the veggies to be sold. I guess what I don't get is why they must have these certain veggies all during the winter - so much so that they're even willing to set them out on the dirty ground and let them get all wilty. I think the two main vegetables are scallions and Chinese cabbage (napa cabbage?). There are also some type of turnip that they cut up and string on a string and hang out to dry. Someone from each household will buy a number of these vegetables and lay them out in rows and then just leave them there for a few days. They may come and check on them now and then or cover them when it rains. I've also seen at least one person who was bringing her cabbage in, and she broke off all the outer leaves and threw them away before bringing them in. Also, Brant recently heard a man talking about it, and he gave the impression that it's done more out of habit than necessity these days. He said he knew of a family that didn't use their veggies during the winter and they ended up rotting, but then the next year those same people rushed out and bought a big batch once again. From what I've observed, this habit is not done as much in higher class areas. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

2 comments:

Jill said...

I Just found out that you did a blog!! You blog is so cute and will it is going to be fun to see your family and your life in China. I love the weather on your blog - I added to mine too! Your girls are beautiful!!

Katie said...

Aw thanks! I'm glad you like my blog. Your blog inspired me to give it a try! I'm enjoying blogging a lot so far.